Lookdev Kit

General / 25 August 2018

In the last couple of weeks I created one simple scene that can help a lot in lookdev process with Maya and Arnold. 

I created one multilayered exr that consists of 10 different HDRs, in other words - one file > multiple different HDRs. This way you can just change one parameter on Skydome light (HDR version attribute) and HDRs instantly change. This saves time when you want to test your shaders in multiple lighting scenarios and you don't have to change HDRs manually by hand. 

One note about HDRs - most of them are from hdrihaven.com and other free sources. 

0 - 4 - interior HDRs

5 - 9 - exterior HDRs

Lookdev kit is made to be used as a Maya reference, so it can easily be removed and keeps the main lookdev scene clean.

You can check out installation process and workflow in the following videos:

Sorry for my bad English, it is my second language and this was the first time I ever recorded an instructional video, I will get better in time. :)

Lookdev kit is still in the development, so if you have some suggestions or anything you can always write a comment or contact me directly by email. 

It is only for Maya and Arnold, if I find time I will maybe create something similar for more render engines. 

First thing that I will do in the future is to correct exposure on some HDRs and do a correct color balance.

You can get the current version HERE

Here is the Artstation artwork link

It is FREE for everyone and always will be.

Make sure to read the readme file in the zip archive.

I wanted to put it on Artstation marketplace or Gumroad but it is not possible to have free product this big, so it ended up on my Google Drive

CGA - Skin Shading with Arnold 5 Workshop

General / 27 July 2018

*original post was published 26th November 2017.

During the November of 2017. I had an opportunity to do something I haven't done yet - to share my knowledge at the CGA conference as an Arnold Workshop Tutor.  I decided to go with a basics of skin shading in Arnold 5, as the new SSS in Arnold 5 was a bit mysterious for a lot of people. As a model I used scanned head of Emily O'Brien, also known as Digital Emily from Wikihuman project. The Workshop and the entire CGA conference were great, I had fun with a lot of friends that I haven't saw for a while and also met a lot of new people interested in the computer graphics. Here are some shots from the workshop:

Philosophy of Photography

General / 27 July 2018

*original post was published 25th October 2017.

Couple of years ago Sam Burford from Chelsea College of Arts contacted me and asked if he can use Coffee Table for his academic journal. I said yes, and eventually forgot about it. Few days ago I received a package containing a copy of Philosophy of Photography, featuring images of Coffee Table. Thanks to Sam Burford for this amazing surprise! Here are some images of this great academic journal:

Developing first film

General / 27 July 2018

*original post was published 14th January 2017.

Couple of days ago I have received a TLR (twin lens reflex) camera as a gift from my girlfriend. She bought me an old Mamiyaflex C2, made somewhere around 1960. It’s a fully mechanical camera made like a Swiss watch - no batteries or any digital parts.

Due to its old age and mechanical nature, the only way to test it is to shoot some film. I took a roll of 120 Ilford HP5+ 400 and used the lunch break at work to take some photos. But, because of the holidays, the only place that can develop B&W film was closed. Then I have decided to develop the film myself. Although I have never developed any film, there are a lot of guides on the internet, so I wrote down all the stuff needed for the process. I borrowed a Paterson tank from my friend Marina, bought all the chemicals I needed for the process and here are the results:

I was amazed by the results. Mamiyaflex lenses are probably the sharpest set of lenses I’ve ever tried (I have 3 analog cameras and at least 10 lenses and also a dslr) and the entire development process is really interesting. It adds a whole new level of fun to photography. I recommend anyone to try it.

Here is some technical info about the process:

Prewash: 1-2mins, distilled water

Developer: Kodak D76, dilution 1+1, 12mins, agitation first 10s every 60s

Stop bath: just a 3 full rinses with tap water, around 60-90s

Fixer: Fomafix, dilution 1+5 for 5mins, agitation for first 10s, every 60s

Wash: distilled water + a drop of “Taš”, local detergent for dishes

This blog post is not a tutorial or anything similar, I was so mind-blown by the whole process and a new camera that I decided to share my thoughts.

Now, back to CG :)

Website transfer

General / 27 July 2018

In the coming days or weeks I plan to transfer content from my website to the Artstation. I decided to use Artstation as my main website. After I transfer my domain dusankovic.com from Small Orange to Artstation I will delete old website. Web address should stay the same, and my portfolio, blog and other info will be on the same place, which I find pretty convenient.

Also, I won't spam you with this content transfer, I will check "Don't broadcast" option, so there will be no notifications. I just want to keep the old content once I delete the old website. 

If anyone is interested in content from my website, you will be able to access my website for a few days, if not less. After that, everything will be here on Artstation blog.